Supporting Carers Session 1:
The challenge of dementia and our unique opportunity to serve
In this session we’ll look at the widespread prevalence of dementia in society, who it affects, and the distinctive role of the church in coming alongside those living with dementia and their caregivers.
Video 1a: The Challenge of Dementia Today
Do you know someone living with dementia – how has this impacted them, their loved ones and their wider circle of family and friends?
Video 1B: The Unique Opportunity for the Church
- What is your church already doing? Who are the people currently involved?
- Who are the people affected by dementia in your church? Remember that it is not just the persons actually living with dementia.
- Churches can offer relationships with continuity. How can we make this unique network stronger and more intentional? How do we build relationships of trust and understanding, learning to see, listen, pray, enable & include, and offer practical help with those affected by dementia?
- Churches are communities of spiritual power. In what ways is your church demonstrating the power of the Gospel in your relationships with those affected by dementia?
- How does the fact that God is our Heavenly Father help us as we confront the challenges of dementia? How easy is it to maintain this faith in face of the challenges? How could we help to support each other in this?