Supporting Carers Session 2:
Understanding Dementia and the Challenge of Caregiving
In this session we’ll be outlining a basic understanding of dementia, including the causes, the symptoms, and how they impact on individuals. We’ll also explore the potential challenges for caregivers, so that we can come alongside them withempathy and understanding.
Video 2a: Understanding Dementia
- What is your experience of coming alongside people living with dementia?
- How has dementia affected the everyday lives of the individual and those around them?
Video 2B: The Challenge of Caregiving
- What might be the financial / emotional / physical / spiritual impacts of care giving?
- Are you aware of church members who are facing these challenges? What have you observed?
- In what ways have you felt able to support them?
- What are some of the challenges of coming alongside caregivers?
- How might the needs of a caregiver change through the different stages of dementia?
- How can we best support caregivers? We’ll be exploring that in a future session, but how does having an understanding of the challenges they face help us to do that?